, an official municipal government Website


About Barnstead


Commissions & Committees




Voting and Elections

Register to Vote

There are four ways to register to vote; each requires proof of age, citizenship, and domicile, by document or affidavit.

  • You may register to vote at the town clerk's office up to 10 days before any election.
  • You may also register to vote with the Supervisors of the Checklist. The Supervisors of the Checklist meet as necessary and meetings are posted under the Meetings and Events on the town's website.
  • Qualified individuals may also register to vote at the polling place on election day at all elections. You will be asked to show proof of age, citizenship and domicile.
  • You may register absentee, by mail. If you are unable to register in person because of physical disability, religious beliefs, military service, or because of temporary absence, you may register by mail. You should request an absentee voter registration affidavit and a standard voter registration form from your town or city clerk. The absentee voter registration affidavit must be witnessed and then both the affidavit and the voter registration form are to be returned to your town or city clerk. Allow enough time for this.

For more information on registering to vote, visit the Elections Division of the Secretary of State's Office.

How to Vote

You may vote in person at the Town Hall, 108 South Barnstead Road, Barnstead, NH. Be prepared to show a photo identification.

By New Hampshire law, only residents who will be absent from the town during the hours the polls are open on election day, and residents with illness or disabilities or religious reasons for being unable to travel to the polls are eligible to vote absentee. Absentee ballots are available from the town clerk approximately 30 days before an election. Request the absentee ballot application from the clerk or you may download the application. If you wish, you may submit a request in writing that should include all the information required on the application: your name, voting address, mailing address and your signature. An application for an absentee ballot may be transmitted by FAX to your town or city clerk.

Voters living outside the United States may file a UOCAVA absentee ballot application.


  • Town elections are held (the second Tuesday of March).
  • Primaries for state-wide and Congressional elections are held in even-numbered years, the second Tuesday of September.
  • Presidential primaries are held early in the year of the Presidential election, at a date to be determined by the NH Secretary of State.
  • State-wide and Congressional elections are held in even-numbered years, on the Tuesday after the first Monday of November. Presidential elections are held every four years, on the same day.

Adobe Acrobat Reader SymbolAdobe Acrobat Reader format. Download a free reader from Adobe.

Town of Barnstead. Copyright © 2013. All Rights Reserved.